- Man it is hard to watch a spring training game, even if it’s New York-Boston, that goes 9 innings of 0-0 baseball. But I did my best. I was almost glad when Boston scored a run, just so the game wouldn’t end in a tie.
- Has Bill Hall been cut yet? I haven’t seen him do anything in the field or at the plate that says he deserves a roster spot with this team. Hopefully Nunez is ready to go sooner rather than later.
- Good solid start out of Nova. Four innings of shut out ball. He was up in the zone a little bit but he was spotting his fastball well, had good movement on his breaking balls and effectively mixed in some change-ups. Barring a melt down, I don’t see any reason why he’s not right on pace to take the ball, at worst, every fourth day.
- Boone Logan has really impressed me so far this spring. Another solid 1-2-3 inning out of him yesterday and he faced both righties and lefties. He looks more and more like he’s going to be a major factor out of the pen and not just the teams obligatory southpaw. So far this spring he’s got 4IP 2Hits 0Runs 0Walks 6K’s. Now that’s getting the job done.
- Another perfect 1-2-3 inning out of Mo and he broke two bats. This guy is a machine. He’s gonna be the Yankee we miss the most when he’s gone.
- Zoilo Almonte was compared to Robbi Cano yesterday. If by that they meant prone to stupid mistakes in the field and swinging at awful pitches at the plate, then i agree 100%. I don’t want to be too hard on the kid, he’s only 22 years old and he hopefully he can deem himself worthy of that comparison, but come on.
- The David Phelps kid looked pretty good on the mound last night. He worked fast and went right at the hitters. He got the loss but it wasn’t his fault the aforementioned Z. Almonte turned what should have been a single into a triple and then let the only run of the game score with a throwing error. He’ll have to be a guy I keep my eye on down in Scranton or Trenton or wherever he winds up.